Challenger baseball is an opportunity for children with cognitive or physical disabilities to enjoy the thrill of playing baseball, being part of a team, and developing physical and social skills. This program provides the benefits of participation in baseball at a level structured to their abilities. Games are played in a fun, safe environment where we don’t keep score. Our philosophy is very simple, ‘Play just for fun!’
Able-bodied “Buddies” are assigned (one on one, where possible) to each participant. These Buddies assist the Challenger players by pushing wheelchairs around the base path, helping players swing their bat and protecting the Challenger player from a batted ball. These are just a few ways the Buddies offer a better experience for participants in Challenger Baseball.
Each Challenger participant is treated like every other player in the conventional baseball program. Players are outfitted in uniforms, use the same equipment and play games at the local baseball parks. A team picture is a must for Challenger, as it is in the other Divisions.
The smiles are plentiful and free! The joy on the face of each participant in Challenger Baseball makes it very clear how much fun they are having. No pressures, no playing time issues, everyone just has fun…the way baseball is supposed to be.
- To provide an opportunity for children and youth with cognitive or physical disabilities to enjoy the benefits of playing baseball
- To educate the community that children with cognitive or physical disabilities can play organized baseball, just like their peers.
- To help the youth in the community give back to society by getting involved in the Challenger program as “Buddies”.
Playing in a Challenger Division gives players an opportunity to:
- enjoy the thrill of playing baseball
- be part of a team
- develop physical and social skills
- build self esteem
- get exercise while having fun
- make new friends
- meet other children and families in their community
Kinsmen Park – 750 Pasqua Street
#250-918 Albert Street
Regina, SK – S4R 2P7
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org